American-Italian lunch is just my new coming up after I have been eating sandwiches for lunch for awhile. I think I have had a sandwich for lunch for the past 20 years. At one point people actually called me the “Sandwich King.” I’m just kidding no one called me that. Anyways, much to my dismay, I recently had periodontal (fancy word for gum dentist) surgery which forced me into eating soft foods for nearly two weeks. So I was forced to find my new go to lunch, and I landed on a mix of protein pasta, spinach, and ground turkey. Here are the details:
Ingredients of American-Italian lunch:
- Box of protein pasta (or pasta of your choosing) Get it now on Amazon.com
- 1 package of frozen spinach Get it now on Amazon.com
- 1 jar of pasta sauce (I like just plain marinara) Get it now on Amazon.com
- 1 lb of ground turkey Get it now on Amazon.com
This one takes a little bit of meal prep, so try to carve out an hour on a Sunday to get it done:
- Step 1: Boil some water, salt it, and make the pasta as the package except 2 minutes off the cook time as you will finish cooking the pasta in sauce.
- Step 2: At the same time, brown the ground turkey on a frying pan with some oil/butter. Make sure to mash it up so you don’t get any stringy pieces in your pasta.
- Step 3: Defrost your spinach and get rid of as much excess water as you can with a paper towel. Then add the spinach and a little sauce to the ground turkey mixture
- Step 4: Add the undercooked pasta and a little salted pasta water to the turkey/spinach/sauce mixture and add more sauce to your desire
- Step 5: Continue cooking/simmering for another 2-5 minutes or until pasta and turkey is cooked through
Whats great about this dish is that it is a health and simple platform on which to add your own flavor. Love veggies? Add some peas or carrots to the dish. Like spice? Throw in some red pepper for some heat. Cheese fan? Then add some damn cheese. Finish this dish off however you would like. Now, as always, let’s take a look at the economics:
- Box of pasta – $3
- Package of frozen spinach – $3
- Pasta sauce – $3
- 1 lb of ground turkey $6.50
- your extra kick – $2
- Total – $17.50
$17.50 for a gourmet pasta launch for the week. Basically that $3.50 a day for something Noodles and Co couldn’t whip up for twice that price (I still love you Noodles).