Hot and sour chicken soup is known as the best remedy to give you energy when you are feeling sick, exhausted and cannot eat any food. It is more than just a normal meal to eat but also very healthy to eat. I remember when I caught a flue, my wife made the soup for me and it’s just awesome.
Well, you can make hot and sour soup with not only chicken but also with prawn, fish and other meats. But today I would like to introduce you the chicken one as chicken is among the excellent source of protein and very easy to get from the market. It also contains sodium, thiamine and other valuable vitamins in it. To no longer keep you waiting, here are the most simple steps to make your hot and sour chicken soup by yourself at home.
Ingredients needed for the soup
First you need to decide how much soup you want to make and for how many people? In this recipe, let me set for around 5 people. So, what you need are as follow:
- Chicken: you’ll need probably around 1 pound of chicken. You can either choose the chicken breast, chicken lap or chicken wing as you like. For me, I like chicken’s part with bone i.e. wing or lap.
- Spring onions: you’ll need it around 8 ounce. So, get it ready.
- Ginger garlic paste: just put around 1/6 ounce. You can either get it from the market or you can mix it your own. You have two options, either to mix ginger and garlic together or put them in the soup separately. Your choice. For me I like ginger a lot. So, I always add extra ginger as I like.
- Tomatoes: get them around 2 big size of tomatoes. Or you can also use cherry tomatoes if you like.
- Vinegar: two table spoons.
- Chili flakes or fresh chili: well it depends on how spicy you like. To me, I put it around half of table spoon. But that’s because I like to put ginger more in it.
- Paprika: put around 1/4 ounce.
- Salt and sugar: put according your preference. Either you like it more plain or a bit salty.
- Butter: around 1/6 ounce.
The cooking process of the hot and sour soup take around 30 minutes including the preparation. After getting all your ingredients ready, follow these simple cooking steps:
- Boil water in a stock pan or a saucepan. Then put your chicken in with some salt. I prefer the bone chicken because it has calcium in it. Boil the chicken for 30minutes or until it’s soft. Then you can take the bone out for convenience. Then put the chicken broth aside.
- Place your frying pan on the stove (you can use either electric stove or gas stove), put the butter in to melt it. Then start frying it with spring onion, and tomatoes. When these veggies turn soft, put ginger, garlic, salt, sugar, chili flakes, and paprika in. Frying and mixing them for around 3 minutes or more until it gives you the attractive smell. Your nose will tell you 🙂
- Then add the boiled broth chicken in, and continue to cook for around 4 to 5 minutes. At last, put the vinegar in it, turn off your stove and start the serving.
Time to enjoy your chicken soup
Now, call up all your family members. Sit them around a dining table, get them a set of soup bowl and silverware sets. Then let’s enjoy your firstly-made hot and sour chicken soup at home! Oh…you can also top the pepper in if you like. Cheers!
Health Benefits of the Hot and Sour Chicken Soup
Based on various researches, the hot and sour chicken soup provides not only nutrition to our body but also benefits our health a lot. The commonly known benefits are as follow:
- It helps warm up our body. That’s why it is most recommended to eat during winter or when you catch a cold or flu.
- The chicken meat contains sodium and protein to give energy to your body. So, it is the best food when you are ill and cannot eat other foods.
- Ginger, spring onion and pepper are best for blood circulation. As you may know ginger is widely known for use to fight against cold or sore throat as it has anti-inflammatory substance in it.
- Last but not least, it’s among the best food to eat, not only when you are sick or during winter. It’s an any time soup to bring energy to your body!